Would I be able to get a morality clause included in my final judgement of divorce? I live in NY.

Asked over 1 year ago - Lockport, NY

I have 3 young children and they have been raised with Christian values. I do not want my children seeing either their Father or I either living with someone before marriage or having overnight guests while the children are present. How common is it for a court to allow such a clause, and if the clause is allowed and broken what could the consequences be?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If there is an agreement between the parties that would be one way to have the clause. The definition of living with someone is tricky. As far as you not living with someone or having an overnight guest that is you choice even if there is no agreement. As far as the court ordering the restrictions that you want that is another question and varies with the courts.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  2. Maria C. Tebano

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Without the agreement of the parties, not likely. Courts will not micromanage your relationships.

  3. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you come to an agreement that is fine. However, it is very unlikely that the court would impose such a clause as it infringes upon peoples rights.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Custody in a Divorce

Child custody may be physical or legal. Physical custody covers who the child lives with, and legal custody is the right to make decisions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,172 answers this week

3,154 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,172 answers this week

3,154 attorneys answering