Skip to main content

Would getting a personal injury att. for my auto accident maximize my settlement?The other drivers ins won't pay all med bills

Euless, TX |

About four months ago, I was involved in an auto accident where another driver pulled out in front of me and I 'T-boned' him on the passenger side of his vehicle. The cops at the scene declared it was the other drivers fault. I suffered facial lacerations and a severely sprained ankle and knee. My 1 year old son didn't appear to have any injuries as he did not ride along in the ambulance to the hospital with me. I have accumulated almost $16,000 in medical bills (including 3 sessions of acupuncture) and the other drivers insurance is only offering me $6000. I'm am only working part time right now so I don't currently have health ins and Money is a little tight. Is a personal injury attorney my best solution even though I really can't afford one.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


You should contact a personal injury lawyer. Initial consultations are always free and injury lawyers work on a contingent fee basis, meaning you'll never pay attorney fees unless they win your case. I completely understand what you are going through and am sorry you're dealing with it.


Hi Euless. The previous attorney was right on the money.
1). Get a lawyer.
2). Almost every lawyer that handles injury cases charges you a contingency fee, meaning no attorney fees unless they recover money for you.
3). Most of us will provide a free consultation.

Give us a call and we will come meet with you at your home or workplace. If we don't hear from you, good luck, but do yourself a favor and hire a lawyer.

Tim O'Hare


Yes. If you hire an attorney your case wil be much stronger and the chance for maximum recovery is much greater. You really should hire a lawyer. You don't pay a lawyer anything yourself. They get paid a percentage of the insurance settlement. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by hiring a lawyer.


Yes. An attorney will maximize your settlement. Most insurance companies hope drivers will try to go at it alone. The result is you only have to pay half the medicals. If you want to be paid for your pain you need to seek out a personal injury attorney who is willing to fight for you. I recommend you STOP talking to the adjuster now and start talking to a lawyer. Good luck to you. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.


Not only should you, you practically have to in this case. It's probably the acupuncture that the adjuster doesn't want to pay for, and the fact that you had is their reasoning for not offering more. If the other driver was cited for a moving violation, find out if they plead guilty or paid a fine. Gather ALL of your medical records and bills and keep them neat and organized. An attorney should be able to get your offer increased AND negotiate your medical bills down in order to maximize your recovery, get your bills paid off, and leave you with some "walking around money". Good luck.


I would say that you should hire a personal injury lawyer. Handling the case yourself is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. The biggest threat to an insurance company is the threat of a lawsuit being filed. The insurance adjuster knows that you are powerless against them because you do not know how to file and prosecute a lawsuit. That is why they are low-balling you. I will be glad to discuss your case with you free of charge. Days, nights or weekends.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio


Give Mr. Slim a call.


Unreps (unrepresented parties) typically get 11% of what a lawyer would get them. You do the math and make your own decision.


Make the effort to contact and consult with a personal injury attorney. Most provide for a free consultation. Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for an attorney in your community.


Personal injury attorney's work on a contingent-fee basis, not an hourly basis. This helps people gain access to the Courthouse.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes a personal injury speicialist will enhance the value of your claim. Insurance companies only care about one thing.... paying you as little as possible to resolve your claims. You are at a severe disadvantage in attempting to deal with the adjuster who is trained to tell you your claims are weak and not worth much money. Please consult with a board certified personal injury trial lawyer as soon as possible. Good luck. My firm does work throughout Texas.

By providing this legal analysis of the issue presented, no attorney/client relationship is being formed. Additionally, attorney is not agreeing to represent the individual who presented the question concerning the legal issue. A signed retainer agreement is required before an attorney /client relationship is established. The analysis provided is meant solely to provide general guidance about the legal issue presented.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer