Would F1 Visa be the best & easiest options for sibling for temporary stay in the US ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monroe, NY

I am a legal alien in the US , and in September this year I have the option to obtain the US / dual citizenship . My sister and her 13 year old son would like to spend 1 to 1 1 / 2 years here in the US , they are German . From my research I see that the best and easiest option would be F1 visa , but she cannot change the status from visa waiver to F1 without leaving the US , correct ? Further , how long will it approx . take to get the F1 visa , and to enter the US ? Further , could she seek employment off campus ? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance !

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

Answered . If she applies and gets an F1 visa and then fails to attend the college she will be deported even to Germany. As to whether she need to leave to file, it is true. It will take about a month in Germany to get an interview, provided the college related documentation is in order.

2. Eliza Grinberg

1

Answered . Why is she coming here to stay with you or to study?

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . If the purpose of the trip is to study in the US, then yes, F-1 would be the proper visa.