Would Ex's move into another county be a "change in material circumstances" to modify parenting schedule and child custody?

Valdosta, GA |

Ex-wife currently lives in same city as I do about a mile away from me. She teaches in neighboring county where my son also attends school. It is about a 35 mile one-way trip to school for the both of us. When I take him it is an hour and a half round trip with traffic. She is getting married June 15th. They are relocating to the neighboring county so she and our son can live in same school district and cut down on their drive time to and from school every day. She is PCP with about a 60/40 split in parenting time. I'm highly involved in all of my 5 y/o son's activities (church, school, sports, etc). I'm hoping this would be enough of a material change in circumstance to justify a change in parenting time to a 50/50 Joint Custody schedule.

Thank you for your input!

1. This is a question that should be addressed to your attorney and if necessary, brought as a motion. What would be your reason to change to 50/50 when really what you might need is a modification of the present schedule, regardless of the exact time?

2. While you need to speak to your lawyer with details, it is highly unlikely that a move of that short a distance would result in any significant modification. At best, some tweaks might be needed in visitation, and it would save you thousands of dollars in legal fees to talk those small changes out rather than to start a battle.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.