Would Ex's move into another county be a "change in material circumstances" to modify parenting schedule and child custody?

Asked over 1 year ago - Valdosta, GA

Ex-wife currently lives in same city as I do about a mile away from me. She teaches in neighboring county where my son also attends school. It is about a 35 mile one-way trip to school for the both of us. When I take him it is an hour and a half round trip with traffic. She is getting married June 15th. They are relocating to the neighboring county so she and our son can live in same school district and cut down on their drive time to and from school every day. She is PCP with about a 60/40 split in parenting time. I'm highly involved in all of my 5 y/o son's activities (church, school, sports, etc). I'm hoping this would be enough of a material change in circumstance to justify a change in parenting time to a 50/50 Joint Custody schedule.

Thank you for your input!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . While you need to speak to your lawyer with details, it is highly unlikely that a move of that short a distance would result in any significant modification. At best, some tweaks might be needed in visitation, and it would save you thousands of dollars in legal fees to talk those small changes out rather than to start a battle.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . This is a question that should be addressed to your attorney and if necessary, brought as a motion. What would be your reason to change to 50/50 when really what you might need is a modification of the present schedule, regardless of the exact time?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,227 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,227 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering