Would appreciate any guidance on how to go about getting an Informant on a death certificate to sign an affidavit (form VS24)

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

My spouse died. We were separated and have not had any contact for many years. His Mother was the informant on the death certificate which indicates my spouse was divorced. We are still legally married. Is there a proper procedure on getting my Mother in law to sign the VS24 form which requires two signatures to amend and add my name as spouse and change certificate to married not divorced. I have not had any contact with my Mother in law in many years. Spouse and I were married in Nevada and lived in California. I am not sure how to respectfully go about this. Any advice is appreciated since I have no money for a lawyer. Thank you

1. Christine James

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . This is not really a legal question but it is clear you want to be thoughtful. I don't know that there is a painless way for you to accomplish what you are attempting, but you might start by sending her a card or letter and making contact that way. In that card or letter ask her to contact you as you want to discuss a small matter with her. Hopefully she will contact you and you can discuss it with her. Otherwise you just have to move forward and ask for what you want/need. Good luck.

2. Charles Adam Shultz

2

Answered . What are you trying to achieve and why? The only way I know that you would be able to get this is an order of the Probate court acknowledging you as the surviving spouse if your mother in law wont cooperate. See http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Do...

You would have to file for probate.

3. Gregory Paul Benton

1

Answered . I suggest that you file a petition for probate. Please see a probate attorney. If she does not want to change this, then this is your best and only recourse.