Would a public defender be good or should we find a defense lawyer with his/her own practice. what possible outcome could result

Asked over 2 years ago - Charlottesville, VA

my son is in custody for 3 class 6 felonies and a class one misdemeanor. he is 20 years old and it is his first offense.

1. Michael David Thomas

Pro

6

Answered . There is this myth of Court appointed or public defenders, that they are somehow less than good. Please understand that many of the best criminal defense attorneys are on the court-appointed list. So do not let that be your basis. If your son qualifies for a public defender or court appointed counsel, then great, go meet with that attorney, and then schedule an appoint to meet other attorneys in the area. If you feel comfortable with the public defender then great, if not then hire the attorney that you feel would best represent your son.

2. James Stanton Abrenio

Pro

6

Answered . As a former public defender, they do great work and they are passionate about their clients. Unforunately, they get a bad wrap because they usually get the worst facts. I can tell you that Charlottesville is one of the most respective PD's office in the state as well. Meet with the PD and keep an open mind. When I was working at my office, I'd meet with a client only to find out later that they retained. They wasted a great opportunity at virtually free, excellent representation.

James S. Abrenio

3. John Leif Fossum

4

Answered . A lot of things could happen. What you should do is consult with a good criminal defense attorney in your area and discuss what outcomes they might think are reasonable. It may be he has a defense to some or all the charges.

4. Susan Elizabeth Philbrick Allen

1

Answered . It has been my experience that the quality of the defense an accused receives is directly related to the level of contact, and the level of honesty, the accused has with the attorney and this has nothing to do with whether the attorney is court-appointed or retained. If, however, your son does not receive a visit from the attorney shortly after appointment of counsel or he is otherwise concerned about the level of representation, he may be able to seek the assistance of the Virginia State Bar or the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission. He may also seek the appointment of another attorney after explaining to the Court his concerns about the attorney appointed to him.