Would a private process server call my place of employment to verify a time to serve me legal papers?

For the past month, I have been receiving calls at my job from a man named "Steve Woods" claiming that he works for himself and the he was hired by a company called Nationwide Services, Inc to deliver legal documents to me. He wants to verify a time that I will be available to drop off the legal papers. I told him to send it in writing or serve me at my home, I'd be there after 4pm and he said ok, can you verify that I have the correct address, I said no, I'm sure you should have all the right info, do not contact my employer anymore. He still calls and leaves voicemails at my job attempting to set up a time to deliver his "legal documents". Is this legal or valid? I've asked what it's regarding and he said I could call the company who contracted him to resolve the matter.

Sacramento, CA -

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

Family Law Attorney - San Diego, CA

Yes it sounds legal. Why not just accept service and contact the party on the pleadings or their attorney?

A Melissa Johnson

A Melissa Johnson

Litigation Lawyer - San Diego, CA

If the person is trying to serve legal papers on you, I don't see a problem that they want to arrange a time to serve you. This would save the cost repeat visits if you are not available when they attempt service. If they have your work and home address, I am not sure why they continue to call you instead of serving you.

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Irvine, CA

While I understand your concern, it is not unusual for a process server to engage in this kind of conduct.

It really makes no sense not to set up a time for him to serve you. You will not avoid being served. Once the plaintiff makes several attempts to personally serve you, then they get to do it much easier by dropping at your home or place of work and mailing it. If that doesn't work, they get to go to court and ask for an order to allow them to serve you by publication, where you might not even know you have been served.

Don't delay the inevitable. Get the documents and find out what this is all about.

Good luck to you.