Would a private process server call my place of employment to verify a time to serve me legal papers?

Asked about 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

For the past month, I have been receiving calls at my job from a man named "Steve Woods" claiming that he works for himself and the he was hired by a company called Nationwide Services, Inc to deliver legal documents to me. He wants to verify a time that I will be available to drop off the legal papers. I told him to send it in writing or serve me at my home, I'd be there after 4pm and he said ok, can you verify that I have the correct address, I said no, I'm sure you should have all the right info, do not contact my employer anymore. He still calls and leaves voicemails at my job attempting to set up a time to deliver his "legal documents". Is this legal or valid? I've asked what it's regarding and he said I could call the company who contracted him to resolve the matter.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes it sounds legal. Why not just accept service and contact the party on the pleadings or their attorney?

    Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is hjohns@... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the person is trying to serve legal papers on you, I don't see a problem that they want to arrange a time to serve you. This would save the cost repeat visits if you are not available when they attempt service. If they have your work and home address, I am not sure why they continue to call you instead of serving you.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . While I understand your concern, it is not unusual for a process server to engage in this kind of conduct.

    It really makes no sense not to set up a time for him to serve you. You will not avoid being served. Once the plaintiff makes several attempts to personally serve you, then they get to do it much easier by dropping at your home or place of work and mailing it. If that doesn't work, they get to go to court and ask for an order to allow them to serve you by publication, where you might not even know you have been served.

    Don't delay the inevitable. Get the documents and find out what this is all about.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now