Would a Master’s in Information System qualify for EB-2?

Carrollton, TX |

Hello,
I am currently pursuing a Master of Science in Information System (M.S.I.S) and it is a non STEM degree. Do I qualify for the EB-2 category after graduating and getting a job? Assuming the Job requires a master’s degree and is for a software development position. My primary concern is whether I can qualify for EB-2 based on M.S.I.S. which is a non STEM degree.
My background: I am a registered nurse with a Bachelor’s degree in the U.S. and have close to three years of nursing experience on CPT and OPT.
Your guidance will be much appreciated!
Thank You.
N.M.

If you have an M.S. and your job requires an M.S., your petition will be in the EB-2 category. Whether your job is in a STEM filed does not matter. We regularly obtain EB-2 green cards for MDs and RNs although neither are STEM jobs.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. I agree with Carl.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.