Would a domestic violence charge prevent me from getting a job with the border patrol

Asked almost 6 years ago - San Diego, CA

my ex girl and i got into it while driving when she compleatly misunderstood something i said then started to flip out i admite we were both in a pretty emotional state she just kept screaming and kicking that i just about got into an accident after i swerved and started to gain control of the car i snapped by with the back of my hand struck her on the lip and nose and on the forehead it was not intentional and i didnt plan on doing that i know that there is no excuse for my action so long story short she ended up going to the hospital and getting some stitches needless to say i was arrested for dv i have already started going to counciling on my own and we are not together and she understands that she had a part in what had happenednever the less that doesnt excuse my actions im going to the hearing next week but dont know how to fight this i just applied for a job in the border patrol and even though its a misterneanor it would disqualify my from any chance at that what do i need to show or prove that would make the da consider dropping the case

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

3

Answered . I don't like to bring bad news to this forum but I doubt the DA will let this one drop. Usually they evaluate these things on the seriousness of the injury and based upon what you said it sounds like there was substantial injury to your girlfriend. Staring the courses on your own is a good idea and may score some points with the DA but if I were you I'd forget about any profession in which I am required to carry a gun. Your gun rights are gone for life.

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

1

6

Answered . With a misdemeanor conviction for domestic violence on your record, you would be prohibited from possessing a firearm for 10 years from the date of conviction. There is a one-time exemption for people that are employed as peace officers [but there are hoops for them to jump through - see Penal Code section 12021(c)(2)].