Skip to main content

Would a dismissed domestic violence stop me from being hired?

Puyallup, WA |

My DV 4 was dismissed a couple of months ago and I just got a job offer. Would that stop me from being hired when they do the background check? Thanks for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It's possible; depends on the employer. It might be worth it to consult with a good attorney about how to try to minimize the damage. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on domestic violence for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


If the person does a back ground check he/she will find out (at this point) that you were charged with an assault 4th DV charge but that it was dismissed. Then you will have to explain this to them. It is always smarter to tell them about this issue beforehand so that it isn't a surprise. Or you can seek this to be vacated however there is a time period that you have to abide by in order to petition the court to vacate this information and it isn't easy or cheap. Good Luck

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer