Would a dismissed domestic violence stop me from being hired?

Asked over 1 year ago - Puyallup, WA

My DV 4 was dismissed a couple of months ago and I just got a job offer. Would that stop me from being hired when they do the background check? Thanks for your help.

1. Bruce Clement

Pro

2

1

Answered . It's possible; depends on the employer. It might be worth it to consult with a good attorney about how to try to minimize the damage. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on domestic violence for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

2. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

2

1

Answered . If the person does a back ground check he/she will find out (at this point) that you were charged with an assault 4th DV charge but that it was dismissed. Then you will have to explain this to them. It is always smarter to tell them about this issue beforehand so that it isn't a surprise. Or you can seek this to be vacated however there is a time period that you have to abide by in order to petition the court to vacate this information and it isn't easy or cheap. Good Luck