Would a dismissed case have a record of conviction? The case was dismissed without any punishment, fine, sentence or probabation

Asked about 1 year ago - Denver, CO

Had a case which is civil in nature but shows up on criminal background. The county has these pleas
- guilty plea without agreement
- guilty plea with agreement
- plea agreement
Case disposition shows as DISMISSED with PLEA AGREEMENT. The court says case was dismissed and they don't have any record of conviction. Does this mean the person is convicted? Person just signed a settlement agreement. Why is that there are 3 different pleas. Please let me know, and yes I will contact an attorney but before that I need to do some homework.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

4

1

Answered . The printout does not make any sense. I don't know if the Court clerks messed up or what. If it was dismissed, it should not show up on a criminal background. If it was a civil case, it does not have criminal penalties and should not show up on a criminal background. The three statements are contradictory - guilty plea w/o agreement, guilty plea with agreement, and plea agreement. If no record of conviction, then there was no conviction.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

4

1

Answered . You don't provide nearly enough information. It is unclear how a case which is "civil in nature" shows up on your criminal background check or how you would have a plea in a civil case. It would not be accurate to show as "Dismissed with Plea Agreement" because if you enter a guilty plea then the case is not dismissed. You either need to provide more information or you need to review the court file with an attorney.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . No ideas. Take a look at the document you have a figure out where the courthouse is where the "plea agreement" was purportedly reached. Ask the court clerk to pull the file and my guess is you will get to the bottom of the situation.