Would a cuban-canadian citizen be able to obtain a parole at the airport when he's entering the US under the CAA?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Coral Gables, FL

he would apply for CAA but would he be able to work during that first year?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Generally speaking, parole is granted to Cuban nationals who cannot be returned to Cuba. In this case, you are describing someone who can be removed to Canada. Parole is granted in the exercise of discretion and is not obtainable as a matter of right. Whether CBP would do so in this case most likely depends on a number of different factors that would need to be evaluated. Keep in mind that employment authorization is not immediately issued but takes a number of months to get, even when an alien is paroled in the public interest.

    I recommend that the person consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You should be able to get the parole, upon submitting proof that you are a cuban national.

  3. Laura Justine Jacobson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It depends on the CBP officer and can vary depending on the port of entry. If they see him as a Canadian citizen, they may not give him a Cuban parole. If he enters and stays for one year, regardless of how he entered, he will be able to apply for residence under the CAA after that year. But if he doesn't have parole, he won't be able to get a work permit that first year. In my experience, I have seen clients have more luck obtaining a parole when they enter by land at a port of entry on the border and show their Cuban passport/birth certificate.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,219 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,219 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering