Would a cuban-canadian citizen be able to enter US and benefit from the Cuban Adjustment Act ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

This person lives in Canada, has been in the US several times to visit. He visited Cuba from US with a canadian passport and he wants to know if he would be elegible to benefit from the Cuban Adjustment Act when he arrives to an US airport coming from Cuba.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The facts you present are not exactly clear, but it appears that they person you are referring to was born in Cuba but is now a Canadian citizen. If that is the case, so long as the person remains in the U.S. for one year after being admitted or paroled, it appears that he or she would be eligible for benefits under the Cuban Adjustment Act. The fact that the person has obtained Canadian citizenship is not material.

    Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of the case and provide case specific advice.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. Yasser Sardina

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues above. As long as the applicant for adjustment under the Cuban adjustment act remains in the United States for the prescribed period under the statute, then he/she shall be able to adjust. Please consult with a qualified immigration attorney before you commence the process.

  3. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like they may be able to qualify. You should consult with an attorney so they can get the additional facts needed to make a determination.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at:... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,509 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,509 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering