Would the foreclosure for my house in Indiana effect my house in Florida?

Asked over 5 years ago - Crown Point, IN

I bought a house in NW Indiana after moving for my new job to Indiana from Florida, I have a house that is paid for in Florida.I got laid off in Dec,2008. and now I can not afford to pay my current mtg. Currently I have the house for sale but incase it does not sell, would the foreclosure for my house in Indiana effect my house in Florida?

1. Margery Ellen Golant

Pro

Answered . If your Florida house is your homestead, there are ways you can protect it from claims of creditors who are not holders of mortgages on the Florida property. However, be careful, because if it is your homestead and if you sell it, the proceeds of the sale will be much more difficult to protect.

If the house is not your homestead, it is vulnerable to the claims of your creditors. Your best protection for the Florida prioperty if you are not living in it now is probably to move into it, and to make it your honestead now, before anyone sues you.

No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should hire an attorney to discuss in detail and to obtain legal advice.

2. Erik Glen Swanson

Answered . It would affect your credit, which would certainly impact your ability to obtain financing or re-financing.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.