Workplace harassment and bullying.

Denver, CO |

Are there any rules that say an employer must provide a safe work environment that is free of harassment? I am being harassed and bullied by my coworkers and even my supervisors and I cannot see a way to stop it. It has gotten so bad that I am being disciplined for everyday stuff that everyone else is allowed to do. Stuff that is a part of the job. Things no-one has ever been disciplined for in the past and have not been disciplined for since. They are making up new rules as they go and saying I'm still responsible for following the new rules that are not even made yet! What can I do to stop this?

1. Unfortunately with CO And most states being at will employmnet states in which many employers can act atrociously without recourse. if the poor treatment is based on race, gender, age, disability, orf the ethnicity you might have a cause of action.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Tough situation. You can always vote with your feet. You might contact human resources about your concerns. You can also seek counsel from an attorney that works in the area of employment law.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. Unfortunately, I see this dilemma time and again Workplace bullying is not in and of itself illegal. What makes workplace bullying and harassment illegal is when it is done because of your protected class (as identified under Title VII), i.e. your race, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, or disability. Your scenario does not specify whether any of those facts and/or circumstances exist; therefore, I am unable to state specifically what legal remedy that you have. However, you can certainly contact your Human resources department regarding the treatment, and provide specific dates, times, and witnesses. Human resources may be willing to provide some coaching to your supervisors that will prevent future instances. The most empowering option that you have is that you can find a new job.

The above response does not constitute legal advice and does not expressly or implicitly create an attorney-client relationship between the poster of the initial inquiry and the Satima Azumi Porter or Porter Legal Services, LLC. Parties making inquiry searching for an answer to the above stated question should consult an attorney to completely assess their circumstances and make recommendations. Porter Legal Services can be contacted at (720) 505-4382 or info@porterlegalservices.com