Working cash job while on H4 visa.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am on H1B work permit and my spouse is on H4 visa. He was on H1B earlier, but since he was not in good terms with his employer, He had quit the job with H1B employer and now he is on H4 visa (He is currently in search of employers who can sponsor his H1B work permit). Meanwhile he had worked on a cash job for about 4 months from October last year till January this year. He had to fight for his payments from his previous H1B employer when he quit his job and now somehow his previous employer came to know that he had worked on a cash job while being on H4 and threatening my spouse that they will complain to USCIS about the cash job that he worked on for 4 months and put him and me in trouble. Is this going to affect our visa statuses? Will I be in trouble as well since he is my dependent?

To be specific, can/will USCIS entertain these kind of complaints from previous employers or any one anonymous? I understand that my spouse might not get his H1B visa/work permit approved and might be deported, What risk does this pose to my immigration status - Does the H1B visa holder gets affected as well (during visa extensions, green card etc) if his/her H4 dependent engages in these kind of activities?

1. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Best Answer

Answered . You did not violate the terms of your visa so you should be okay.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . While on H-4, you cannot work in the US, whether that work is paid or unpaid. Period.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

1

Answered . If you did work cash job you are in violation of your status.