Working as a contractor and qualifying for medi-cal?

Long Beach, CA |

I cannot document my income to qualify for Medical. I have self-employment income and we have vehicles valued more than $15,000. I am also receiving unemployment and have been unemployed from a regular W2 job since August 2013. Would I still qualify for Medi-cal? My husband already has Medicare and my children have Medi-cal. When I lost my second job this year in August, I could not afford anything and had to work two jobs on commission. My husband and children were covered, but I am not. Under the new rules, what do I need to be careful about -- I've been accused of getting overpayment of benefits from public social services and unemployment and I do not want to be in that situation again.

1. Medi-Cal eligibility is determined by the California Department of Health Care Services. You should check directly with them about eligibility in your exact situation so you are not again accused of receiving an overpayment of public benefits. They have a website with frequently asked questions about Medi-Cal.

Follow me on Twitter @joeroselaw. I answer questions on Avvo to try to help get you pointed in the right direction. But, I am not your attorney. Beware, my answers here are general, limited, incomplete, and can never be as complete, thorough, or accurate as one I would give to a client after hearing all of the facts and details of my client's situation and applying the correct law. Also, I am admitted to practice law only in California and all of my answers are intended exclusively for the Golden State.

2. Mr. Rose has provided an excellent answer to your question. I would visit the Medi-Cal website that he has referenced. Good luck!

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

3. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Medi-Cal coverage will be expanded and up to two million new people may be eligible for Medi-Cal in 2014. As a result, the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) has partnered with Covered California to create an online “one-stop shop” for health coverage.

For those who are currently covered by Medi-Cal or who are part of the newly eligible group for Medi-Cal services, the application process can be completed through Covered CA. This will streamline the process to apply for Medi-Cal or purchase other health coverage.

Disclaimer of California Attorney. Laws differ from state to state. Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract. Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan. Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA Attorney-At-Law 17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43 Artesia, CA 90701 562-924-8922 Tax Relief Lawyer. Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns, Homeowner Association Strategist.