Working as a contractor and qualifying for medi-cal?

Asked about 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

I cannot document my income to qualify for Medical. I have self-employment income and we have vehicles valued more than $15,000. I am also receiving unemployment and have been unemployed from a regular W2 job since August 2013. Would I still qualify for Medi-cal? My husband already has Medicare and my children have Medi-cal. When I lost my second job this year in August, I could not afford anything and had to work two jobs on commission. My husband and children were covered, but I am not. Under the new rules, what do I need to be careful about -- I've been accused of getting overpayment of benefits from public social services and unemployment and I do not want to be in that situation again.

1. Joseph Wayne Rose

Pro

7

1

Answered . Medi-Cal eligibility is determined by the California Department of Health Care Services. You should check directly with them about eligibility in your exact situation so you are not again accused of receiving an overpayment of public benefits. They have a website with frequently asked questions about Medi-Cal.

2. Richard Gordon Stack

2

Answered . Mr. Rose has provided an excellent answer to your question. I would visit the Medi-Cal website that he has referenced. Good luck!

3. Robert Jan Suhajda

1

1

Answered . Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Medi-Cal coverage will be expanded and up to two million new people may be eligible for Medi-Cal in 2014. As a result, the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) has partnered with Covered California to create an online “one-stop shop” for health coverage.

For those who are currently covered by Medi-Cal or who are part of the newly eligible group for Medi-Cal services, the application process can be completed through Covered CA. This will streamline the process to apply for Medi-Cal or purchase other health coverage.