Workers Compensation MSA funding. Lump sum VS. annuity?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I had recently asked about the potential settling of future lifetime medical benefits with the IC. I appreciate the responses received.

My question,
I will be relocating outside of the USA in the near future. Keeping this in mind, would it be best to negotiate the MSA being funded as a lump sum rather than an annuity? I realize this would be to the benefit of the IC, however I will have no need for the MSA if I am not residing within the USA, correct?

Any ideas as to whether or not the MSA should proceed according to the guidelines set forth by CMS/Medicare given the future circumstances?

I'm guessing to fund the MSA as a lump sum would save the IC roughly 25% - 50% over the value of an annuity.

Thank You.

1. George Ellis Corson IV

4

1

Answered . Actually, you are completely wrong. An Annuity for 100K over your life expectancy might cost the IC about 70K. They pay an Annuity Company 70K, and the Annuity Company pays you 5K a year for 5-30 years.

2. Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Pro

4

1

Answered . The annuity will always cost the Insurance company less than the required lump sum amount. Why do you think they like to use them? To save money, of course.

3. Michele Susan Lewane

1

Best Answer

Answered . Annuities are much cheaper than a lump sum. Why insurance companies like to buy them. However, what is in your best interest? Always a lump sum for a regular settlement or one including an MSA.If you want the money in a monthly installment, you could buy an annuity yourself and get a better deal. If you violate the terms of the MSA agreement (i.e. spend the money not on medicals), it is my understanding ( and the laws can ALWAYS change), that there is no criminal repercussions. What would happen is that you would have to repay the MSA account and use the money up before Medicare would pay for your future medical care.