Workers Compensation in California

Asked over 1 year ago - Mountain View, CA

If my gardener gets injured on the job, do I have to pay him workers compensation? Does he get to collect from me?

1. Michael Ian Rott

Pro

4

1

Answered . The Workers' Compensation Appeals Board Administrative Law Judge should rule in your favor, that your gardener is an independent contractor. assuming, he paid his own taxes; contracted with numerous individuals to perform different types of jobs; and that you did not have the power to control the details of your gardener's work, such as pruning the bushes or the method by which he performed the task.

If the above factors are in your favor, you should be fine with the help of a workers' compensation lawyer to assemble all of the necessary documents to refute your gardener's arguments.

Good luck,

Michael Ian Rott, Esq., Managing Partner
    HIDEN, ROTT & OERTLE, LLP
    2635 Camino del Rio South, Suite 306
    San Diego, California 92108
    Office: 619.296.5884, ext. 14
    Fax: 619.296.5171
    Cell: 619.252.2248
    Email: mrott@hrollp.com
    Avvo: http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/92108-ca-michael-...
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-rott/b/952/aa9/

Web: www.hrollp.com
    San Diego - El Centro

2. George Ellis Corson IV

4

Answered . That depends upon your definition of "me." Your Gardener is probably an independent contractor, which would mean that he is responsible for his own WC. If you have a Homeowners Policy (an excellent idea), then the policy has a WC rider that will probably defend you in this situation. I say "probably" because I am a Attorney, and giving the Gardener a STD is most likely excluded.

3. Juan Manuel Armenta

2

Answered . Assuming you are a homeowner and the work was being done on our home then probably not because the gardener would excluded from being an employee as he is what is called a household employee. Only if he did more than 52 hours of work during the 90 days before injury could he possibly be an employee, but even he he met that test he is likely still an independent contractor if e is doing other gardens.

Either way, your homeowner's insurance should be notified if a claim is made so the insurer can defend you. That is one of your policy benefits.

4. John M Connell

Pro

3

Answered . Check with your homeowners insurance because that will cover you for this situation if the gardner is not an independent contractor