Workers Comp: ILLINOIS Nurse, fell at work 9/27/12, injured right shoulder.

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

As per the MRI/MRA, ther were right humeral head (shoulder/humerus) contusion, bursitis, small significant labral tear. Elected my own choice of ortho doc who diagnosed me with all of the above, in addition my medical records indicate that I also have impingement syndrome, possible bicep tendon tear/rupture. Failed conservative treatments such as therapies and injections. Ortho doc said after my arthroscopic surgery (will be done to evaluate internal structures of my shoulder to be sure of the abnormal pathology), there is a very good chances that I would come back to work without restrictions based on his experience. Does that mean after MMI, 0% rating as well? If that is so, then I won't get compensated for PPD? Can I open my medical claims at least?

Also, if I decide to leave my current employment for which I still work with light duty desk work restrictions only after I am released by my ortho doc, does that complicate the claim/case? If I won't have restrictions then I'd rather work somewhere else where I could function better instead of being a floor nurse, such as home health care, etc. for the reason that the type of work of a nurse in those companies are lighter as compared to rehabilation facilities where I am currently employed. I am only 31 yrs old by the way. Income the year prior to the injury was roughly about $65 k if even necessary in order to evaluate/answer my questions. Thank you.

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

5

1

Answered . Pay no attention to this impairment rating nonsense. Your case is still valuable and, while you may understand more medical than many claimants, you do not understand workers' comp like we attorneys do. Trust me, no one wants to understand comp as it is arcane. Don't go this alone.

I think a competent attorney could put some money in your pocket that is due you no matter that you've returned to work. That is irrelevant. Many factors determine value on a comp case, including your job, age, injury, rate of pay, and treatment.

Fees are limited to 20% and consults are free.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Michael Lebovitz

5

1

Answered . In most instances surgery will result in an impairment do to it being invasive in nature. Best to retain an attorney who can guide your car to a proper resolution. Medical can be kept open through a hearing.
    Michael Lebovitz
    Attorney at Law
    3250 N. Arlington Heights Rd, Suite 102
    Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004
    (847) 590-1795

3. Jordan Lee Margolis

5

Answered . You need to discuss these excellent questions with a well qualified Workers' Compensation Lawyer from AVVO or elsewhere. We would all be happy to provide a free consultation.

Jordan Margolis, President
    The Margolis Firm PC
    55 W. Monroe, Suite 3555
    Chicago, Illinois 60603
    312-236-2201
    jmargolis@themargolisfirm.com

When An Accident Changes Your Life, We Pursue Justice For You

4. Marc Bennett Stookal

3

1

Answered . I have found that many orthopedic doctors will opine that after their procedures, the patient will return to work with little or no disability. While that is the desired result, it is not always the case. Unfortunately, I have had many cases where a disability exists after surgery. Each client and each case must stand on its own depending on your unique set of facts.

MMI, or maximum medical improvement, is that status that the patient receives from his or her doctor when the condition stabilizes to its fullest extent. It does NOT mean that there is no disability. The eventual impairment rating does NOT equal disability. The concept of disability in workers' compensation law concerns itself with how the injured employee's condition affects his or her function at work. It looks into loss of job function, the need for future medical care, the need for future vocational re-training and a whole host of other items.

The 0% impairment rating that your mention is from the AMA Guides to Impairment ratings which is but one factor in the eventual calculation of your disability. Regardless of the AMA rating (if one is given), there may very well be permanant partial disability (PPD).

At the end of your treatment and after you return to work for a period of time your permanancy can be assessed. As attorneys, we gather all of your medical records, set a meeting to go over the records with you and discuss our settlement plan.

Feel free to contact my office if you wish to ask additional questions.

Marc B. Stookal
    312/443-1331
    mbstookal@nsgclaw.com
    www.illinoisinjurylawyer.com