Worker's comp denying claim and insurance has scheduled both independent medical exam and independent psychiatric exam.

Fort Collins, CO |

Injured in December. I had previously been denied a psych evaluation requested by the work comp doctor. The insurance company has sent someone to ergonomically evaluate me at work.
I received notice that insurance company has scheduled IME and IPE appointments in city that is over an hour's drive away, on days I work-- I can do the drive. I have received only one form, and been compensated for, mileage driven, once. I have not received any money for hours lost. I was a part time employee to begin with and now am working reduced duty 16 hours a week.
Am seeing new doc for recheck, previous one changed mind from definitely work comp to maybe not because I'm not healing fast enough. Also, I do have a hearing date set, though it isn't until May.
Thank you.

1. You need to consult with a local worker’s comp. attorney ASAP because they may not have the right to have you re-examined.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

2. You are about to walk into a buzz saw. It sounds like you have a denied case and the Insurance Carrier (and their attorney) are actively preparing for court to justify denying your claim. You need to talk with a lawyer as soon as possible - if you can BEFORE you attend these medical evaluations.

In a nutshell - the insurance carrier has the right to send you for medical and psychological evaluations - but they should pay you mileage before you attend. However an attorney can help you understand your rights and avoid common mistakes injured workers make when seeing these paid guns.

It also sounds like you have a hearing coming up. You need an attorney for that because, (in my experience) 70% of the work winning or losing the case is done before the hearing.

If your case is serious and supported - all attorneys representing injured workers will offer a contingent fee contract (meaning you only pay a feee if you recover). Almost all attorneys at least offer a free consultation to discuss your claim, your options, and possible outcomes.

If you would like please email or call us and we will be happy to chat with you, review the paperwork and medical records, and give you our thoughts.

Britton Morrell
    KAPLAN MORRELL
    (970) 356-9898
    britton@kaplanmorrell.com

3. You are welcome. That is why we are here.

We offer general concepts, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.