Work tax Living in Ohio and working in Illinois

Solon, OH |

I am currently working in Ohio and have a house as well. I have got a new job in Chicago,Illinois
I am planning to travel to the Job from Ohio to Illinois and return back to Ohio on week ends.
Currently I am paying State Income tax to Ohio. Do i have to Pay State Income tax for Illinois and Ohio both . Or Just Illinois. Confused on it

This is a tax question. I will add tags to get you a broader response.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

You will definitely owe tax to Illinois and will have to file an income tax return there because you are working in Illinois and earning your income from Illinois sources.

You will also owe tax to Ohio because you live there and are a resident of Ohio (there are some issues with residency requirements that might be worth exploring with your own tax consultant; however, the question is very fact-sensitive and doesn't lend itself to short answers online).

However, because you'll be paying tax to Illinois for income you earned in Illinois Ohio should provide you with some sort of a tax credit against your Ohio taxes to take into account the taxes you will have already paid to Illinois. There are some ins and outs to the actual amount of a credit you would get from Ohio, but as a very general rule you would end up paying about one level of tax on the income, at the higher of the rate in Ohio or the rate in Illinois.

My answer does not constitute legal advice and may not be relied upon by anyone for any purpose and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship or an offer to form such a relationship. This disclaimer is intended to be fully compliant with the requirements of Treasury Department Circular 230 and the terms thereof are fully incorporated by reference. If you wish to consult with me please contact me at dana@nytaxcounsel or visit my website at

Recommended articles about Employment