Work permit

Burlingame, CA |

My asylum application was approved one month ago. I still haven't received my work permit. I was told that I'm supposed to receive it within 14 days. I am wondering why I haven't received my work permit yet. And how much longer will it take to process the work permit. In the mean time am I eligible to start working if I find any job even i i dont have work permit on hand?

1. Whoever told you that it would only take 14 days for a work permit clearly doesn't understand the process.

The government has 90 days in which to process an application. But, it is usually 45-60.

No, you may not work without the permit.

PS Congratulations on your approval ... asylum isn't all that easy to obtain.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. The short answer is that an asylee is entitled to work incident to status, that means with or without a work permit. However, I have seen that the Social Security Administration will not agree to issue you a social security number without a work permit. If you have not done so already, file a form I-765 and apply for the work permit. It does take about 90 days to get it.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

3. If you received the decision and the I-94 you can take it to local social security office and apply for a social security.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

4. An asylee does not need a work permit in order to work in the U.S. An asylee is authorized to work. There is typically a stamp on the I-94 indicating you are authorized to work. You take the I-94 and other required documentation to the social security office to obtain a social security number. If you wish to receive an employment authorization card, you must apply for such document from USCIS. The request is typically processed in 45-90 days.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.