Work H1B/L1 or immmigrant visa at a friend's startup

Asked about 1 year ago - Palo Alto, CA

My friend owns a popular information technology product that he and 2 others created. It is a downloadable productivity tool. He is making money (a little).

My friend wants to help me with my H1B/L1 visa and possibly even sponsor my green card.

From my part I have a PhD with valuable skills. I have 1 year left on my H1B and I am in India. I do not have a US job now. I am also willing to invest upto $500,000 in the company. Is there a way my friend can help me?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . You are doing yourself a HUGE disfavor but posting on AVVO. Talk to an immigration attorney. You are in California. You have several great immigration lawyers form California I have think of right here on AVVO. All you have to do is look.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . For your friend to be able to help you with either a work visa or a green card, his startup needs to be in a position to pay you a real salary commensurate with your skills and job duties.

If you invest in the CO. It will be able to sponsor you for a work visa, but will not be possible to sponsor you for a green card under current law.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . Nothing in your posting supports an L-1. Investor visas are not possible for India as the requisite treaty does not exist. An H-1B will be closely scrutinized.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. Anu Gupta

Pro

1

Answered . Hi there- Your friend needs to be able to afford your salary to be able to sponsor your H1 or green card. I would recommend trying for an investment based option.

5. Akanksha Kalra

1

Answered . Generally speaking, a ‘start up’ company can file an H-1B petition on behalf of a foreign national as long the employer/ petitioner can prove that it has the financial ability to pay the required prevailing wage to the H-1B worker and that the proposed position is a “specialty occupation” for which the foreign national is qualified. However, USCIS does scrutinize H-1B petitions very closely these days and can ask for extensive documentation/information about both the employer and the employee. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney to discuss this further.