Work Authorization on L2 visa.

I joined a US company on F1-visa and now planning to change it to L2-visa. I already know that although L2 is work permit visa it needs EAD as a work authorization document, same as F1. My query is, After successfully changing my visa from F1 to L2, there is a brief period of time where I'll be on L2 visa and I will be waiting for my EAD to arrive. Is it legal if I take a leave without pay and be on payroll of the company in that time? If not, What is the ideal way to deal with this situation?

New York, NY -

Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

As an L2, you can only work if you have your EAD.

Alexus Paul Sham

Alexus Paul Sham

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

I agree with my colleague. It is only legal for you to work with the employer once you have your EAD.

Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Immigration Attorney - Pasadena, CA

You must have an EAD to be employed as an L-2.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Whether you can take leave without pay depends on company policy.

Related Advice