Work at two companies on H1B while waiting to transfer from one to the other after receiving USCIS receipt number

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellevue, WA

I'm waiting to transfer from company A to company B on H1B. I know that once a USCIS receipt number is issued, I don't have to wait until approval to legally start working for company B. Because of the current circumstances and the amount of time I had to wait for this transfer, I'm considering not giving a two-week notice at company A.

My question is, is it legal for me to be on the two's full-time payroll for a week? I know it takes up to 15 calendar days to hear a decision from USCIS, and I can wait for the first week, but if possible, I'd like to work the second week at both companies and quit at company B if approval is granted.

If I do this, what happens if I'm not approved but worked for a week at company B?

1. 16

Answered . You can work at both companies concurrently while you are waiting.

2. 5

Answered . You can work for both companies while awaiting a decision on the H-1B transfer. However, once the transfer is approved you may only work at Company B.

3. 5

Answered . You are in a beneficial position to ask either company immigration visa attorneys any relevant question pertaining to your pending immigration case.

4. 4

Answered . What did Company B's immigration lawyer say when you asked him/her this question?

That is, of course, the first person you should contact when researching this issue. He/she may have to 'defend' you and the visa (which is their property, not yours).

What ever you do ... don't waste time talking to non-attorneys in HR.