Wondering if I should take any action. I slipped and fell on a wet floor and broke my right arm at a restaurant. No sign posted.

Princeton, MN |

I did talk to the manager and filled out a claim form, so they know what happened. Thank you.

They had just opened the restaurant and when I told them what happened their response was, "That's because we just mopped our floors." The floor was very wet in front of the restrooms...another person had fallen after I did.

Sorry for your injury. The sooner you speak with local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel the better. Do not speak with the restaurant or their claims people. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

Thank you so much.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Your welcome. You can search Avvo; call your state's trial lawyers association; justice.org; the best way is usually to ask those you trust and respect for recommendations. Interview perhaps 3 and hire the one you are most confident in and comfortable with.

For you to have a successful suit, it will have to be proven either that the restaurant [personnel] created the dangerous condition - ie, mopped the floor - or if the condition was caused by another person, such as another customer, that the restaurant had "notice" [ notice = awareness] of the condition but failed to act reasonably promptly in order to remedy the danger but failed to do so. In one scenario, if the wet condition was reported to the restaurant but they did not act to clean it up, it would be liable. In another scenario, the condition can be shown that it existed for such a long enough period (ie-15-30 min. or more) that by conducting a reasonable inspection it would have been discovered, in which event the law generally deems the restaurant to have had "constructive notice". This is often difficult to prove. IF you think your mishap falls into any of the above scenarios, consult with an attorney in your area right away.

Bring all of your information to a lawyer. Don't speak to the insurance company or representative from the restaurant.

I'm sorry for your injury. It is negligent of the restaurant to mop the floor and not thereafter post signs indicating the floor is wet. You likely have a cause of action. I, like many other attorneys here on Avvo, offer free consultations and would be glad to further discuss your situation.

Adam W. Klotz
FREE CONSULTATIONS- 612.223.6767 ext 3

The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this attorney or affiliated law firm. Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information.

Retain one of the lawyers in your state above to investigate a claim for negligence.