Won in small claims court but not payment yet

Asked over 1 year ago - Rochester, NY

Won about 4 years ago. It was only 1500. But, has bothered me that he hasnt paid. Is there a statute of limitation in NY? What should I do? Contact a lawyer?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . He isn't likely to pay voluntarily. You have to take steps to enforce the judgment.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . Judgment good for 20 years. Speak to a collection lawyer to assist you. Also, look on back of small claims decision for methods of collecting.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . Winning a judgment in small claims does not automatically mean the defendant will pay you. You have to collect on the judgment.

4. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . Why did you wait four yeas? Act now to get what is yours.

5. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

2

Answered . You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York debt collection attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible. Good luck!

6. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear Small Claims Court Judgment Creditor:

It should not have been a surprise the debtor did not pay the judgment. You had to sue to get your money. But after your success, did you do take any of steps to collect the judgment as suggested to you by the Small Claims Court at:

http://www.nycourts.gov/COURTS/nyc/smallclaims/...

If so, then add a comment about the efforts you made to collect the judgment.

7. John J. Carney

Pro

1

Answered . Retain a lawyer in your area to collect the debt or you will never get any money. He has to have the funds or you will not be able to collect. If he has written you a check you can try to get the funds from his account or garnish his wages.