Won DV2014 while on a J1. AOS or CP - this is the question...

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am a scientist working in research in the US on a J1 visa since 2011. My current J1 visa expires 12/31/2014. Both my current visa and the DS-2019 say "Bearer not subject to section 212e".

I am MD by training and I intend to enter residency in medicine in the US starting in June 2014, which would imply changing my current J1 to one issued by the ECFMG and loose the 212e waiver.

Recently I got selected for further processing for the DV2014 program, and my case numer is 2014EU00022XXX.

My questions:
- should I opt for AOS or should I plan a trip to Europe and do CP?
- if I choose AOS and I won't be able to file I485 until April/May 2014, can I file for EAD and start residency in June 2014?
- what happens if, for any reason, I do CP and my GC is rejected? Can I return to the US?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . YOu should hire an immigration attorney to handle this entire situation for you.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,233 answers this week

3,085 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,233 answers this week

3,085 attorneys answering