Wobbling down a misdemeanor into an infraction

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

A hypothetical scenario, if one of my friends pleaded guilty or nolo contendre for a misdemeanor such as PC 415-disturbing the peace, would he be able to lower her misdemeanor into an infraction after finishing her probation time?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No unless it was part of the deal. PC 415 is infractable but only if that's what was agreed with the DA at the time of the plea, otherwise the judge does not have power to do so.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Get it expunged.

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. A 415 can be reduced to an infraction

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT... more
  4. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are some charges that can be "wobbled" down to an infraction.
    If there is an agreement as such it can be done and happens all the time.

    Make sure that is part of any deal one may take if that is what they want.

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  5. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . In either scenario, assuming probation is completed without any violations/new offenses, you can petition the court to have the conviction expunged and the court WILL (has to) grant the request. Just don't mess up and you're golden. Don't worry about the infraction bit. Just get the expungement.

    No attorney-client relationship is created by communications on AVVO. Any information provided by the attorney is... more
  6. Answered . Typically, on a charge like PC 415, a reduction to an infraction is negotiated with the prosecutor before a plea is entered. If your friend entered a plea to a misdemeanor and was given probation, he or she can attempt to terminate her probation period early based on compliance. Once off probation, that person can file for an expungement, which is a procedure that allows the charge to be dismissed. Obviously, getting the charge dismissed is more advantageous to your friend than reducing to an infraction at that point.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,712 answers this week

3,713 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,712 answers this week

3,713 attorneys answering