Witness Affidavits for Immigration Court

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I would like to gather witness affidavit from someone important for my upcoming immigration court hearing where the judge will have to decide my future in the US. Unfortunately, the person that I would like an affidavit from, currently resides in Eastern Europe where he said that a notary public stamp would cost him $150 for the affidavit. Perhaps he means if he gets one through the Consulate/Embassy. That's a lot of money for a notary public service from overseas and I would like to know if he simply writes an affidavit without attaching a notary public stamp, will this not be taken into evidence by the immigration judge because without the notary stamp, it does not show you actually wrote that witness affidavit. What are my option in submitting this affidavit through that person for my

immigration hearing and making sure that it won't be rejected because the writer could not attach a notary public's signature on it to prove that he's the writer of it. Please advise.

P.S. He won't be back in several months, so I later on it would be useless. His affidavit would have helped out a lot. By the way, unlike for other courts, the immigration court does NOT require the witness to be in court in person like other courts, so the witnesses can simply submit affidavits for the judge to consider without them being there. ICs are lenient on this.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Hire a lawyer. Doing an immigration trial without an attorney is reckless.

2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

5

Answered . Please keep in mind that affidavits are given diminished weight. It would be best if your witness was available to testify before the immigration court. This witness statement will be given very little weight if the document is not notarized as the identity is not verified and the person is not affirming the truth of what is written. That being said some evidence is better than none. Your witness should explore other notary options and if it is not possible explain the reason the document is not notarized and provide a copy of his idebtification. You would be best advised to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to explore ither options.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . Please tell us that you're not really thinking of going to court without an attorney.

Please, hire an immigration attorney.