With work visas, is my employer required to initiate the process?

Carthage, TX |

Or is that something I have to do?

If your employer is sponsoring you for a work visa, then the employer files the papers. If you are already working, you have a problem most likely. Seek attorney assistance.

Usually yes, they require a petition by the employer. Exceptions are the E-visa, which can be counted among work visa, and certain green cards. But usually even in those cases cooperation by an employer is necessary.

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.

I agree with the other attorneys

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Recommended articles about Immigration