With the new alimony law getting ready to be passed, do I have to start all over again defending my right to alimony?

Gainesville, FL |

Married 31 years, divorced 11 years. Awarded permanent alimony. I am 62 years old and am worried I will loose my alimony, which I need to live on. Do I need to hire an attorney to defend myself against this new law? Law states the spouse can go back retro-actively to review and stop paying. Doesn't seem right if the divorce agreement stated permanent alimony that he can go back and change the decree.

1. while it seems clear that some change in the law will happen, the final version is not law yet. You can make your views know to you representatives. You can follow the bill on line. But until the final version passes, or doesn't pass, there isn't much you can do but keep an eye out for the final version.

The above is for informational and educational purposes only, does not establish an attorney client relationship, and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. The only legal advice offered is to have this matter reviewed and discussed by a competent attorney of your own choice.

2. Please let your representatives and Governor Scott know how this will impact you. I have many clients who have stated the same concerns you have.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

3. I agree with my colleagues. You need to lobby the Florida House and Governor and get all your friends to do so. Clog their phone lines!!!!!!!!!

Lawrence J. Marraffino
    Gainesville Divorce Lawyer
    www.ljmpa.com

This answer cannot be a substitute for legal advice which requires more information from the client than can be obtained in this forum. Therefore this answer CANNOT BE RELIED UPON AS LEGAL ADVICE FROM THIS ATTORNEY.

Alimony topics