With the Alimony Reform Act in Massachusetts, can alimony which was awarded based on disability be terminated?

Gardner, MA |
Filed under: Alimony

My boyfriend was awarded alimony in his divorce 4 years ago. He was, and still is, on disability due to mental health issues. We are looking into sharing a 2 bedroom apartment as neither of us can afford to maintain our current residences alone. If we do, could his ex-wife petition to have his alimony terminated. as it was awarded based on his disability?

Alimony is not based on disability. It is based on an analysis of the marriage applying the numerous considerations outlined in MGL 208 § 34, and interpreted with substantial discretion by the judge. Essentially, and this is a simplification, an alimony award is based on the length of the marriage coupled with the established need of the recipient party and the ability to pay of the payer party.
I think your larger concern is that under the new alimony law cohabitation is considered to have an impact on the recipient party’s needs, just as remarriage has been viewed in the past, and it can now be used as the basis for a modification action. Cohabitation, however, has not yet been well defined by cases coming before the court, but a few things seem to be clear – cohabitation must be for a period of 3 months or more and it is more than a mere roommate relationship. The party move for modification must show that cohabitation included an economically integrated relationship. A cohabitating couple would probably share the same address for billing and governmental purposed, they would have joint accounts and hold other property jointly, they would share a common bedroom. So while cohabitation could certainly be used as the basis for a Complaint for Modification, it may be more difficult to prove then one would think at first impression.
If you plan on moving in together and you are concerned about the possible impact your decision may have on your boyfriend’s alimony award, you should consult with an attorney.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

I agree with Attorney Mason's response. The one thing I would add is that you should consider which judge is assigned to your boyfriend's case. There is an exception to the alimony termination language in the statute that leaves discretion to the judge. Some judges are beginning to permit continuation of alimony in some cases where alimony would normally be terminated. I suggest that you speak with a qualified family law attorney to give you further guidance.

Advice provided is of a general nature to provide guidance. Divorce law is state specific. One should always check the laws in their home jurisdiction. An attorney-client relationship is not intended or established through provided responses.

One would have to read the judgment or final court ord.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.