With parent consent is it still illegal for a 18 year old to have sex with a 14 year old?

Steubenville, OH |

I know someone who is going through a problem with a 18 year old having sex with a 14 year old and they both do not want to believe that it is illegal for them to have sex because her parents agree to it.

A criminal law specialist can chime in, but I am unaware of any exception that permits a parent to allow their child to be a victim of statutory rape. In fact, I believe that the parents may open themselves up to criminal charges for contributing to the crime.

Mr. Esposito is a Ohio-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Andrew Esposito does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

people are tryin to get that in both of there heads but they dont want to listen. They both said they talked to the cops about it and they cops told them that it is okay.

Yes it is illegal. The 18 year old is facing very serious criminal charges that could carry lifetime penalties.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
Beavercreek, Ohio 45434
(937)510-6110 phone

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner