With cannabis on my uk police record will my green card be denied

Asked about 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

it was back in april 2012, i got caught with a few plants in my house and got a caution for cannabis cultivation... no conviction or court, will this have an affect when applying for an adjustment of status???

Attorney answers (6)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes ... it could.

    Meet with an immigration attorney before filing any adjustment papers.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Amber Lynn Blasingame

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues that it would be best to consult with an immigration attorney. I would suggest before you meet with an attorney that you collect any police and/or court records related to this incident. Avvo reports your location is in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Our firm has an office in Colorado Springs, and we have handled similar cases.

  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It could have an effect. Consult with an attorney

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  4. Igor Serbinin


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with AILA removal specialist prior to applying. Finding of inadmissibility does not require actual conviction. It is a stretch for USCIS to deny your application based on your limited facts but thorough analysis is definitely needed.

  5. Ian Edmund Scott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . A crime in another country could have an impact so your case would not be straight forward. A discussion with a lawyer would serve you well.

    The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only.... more
  6. Eric Hoshang Pavri

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As the other responders mentioned, crimes committed in another country can certainly impact your ability to do Adjustment of Status here - i.e., they can make you "inadmissible."

    However, if there was no accusation that you were selling (so that the US government would have no "reason to believe" you were trafficking a controlled substance), and if you never admitted possession of cannabis in any court or official proceeding, you might still be able to adjust.

    That said, this is a case where it is worth consulting a lawyer to discuss your case in much more detail, to determine whether you would placing yourself at risk by applying to adjust status.

    Our immigration law office is located in Colorado Springs. Feel free to call us at 719-260-7900 and speak with one of our staff members to schedule a consultation.

    This answer constitutes general advice and does not constitute specific legal advice, nor create an attorney/... more

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,932 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,932 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering