Skip to main content

With B1/B2 visa, can I apply for a Social Security Number?

New York, NY |

Hello, My husband and me have visa B1/B2, and immigration officer gave us 6 months to stay in U.S.. We decided to use this chance and to work here. But we need a SSN. Can we apply for it??? We know that having B1/B2 visa is illegal to work in U.S., but may be there is a solution?!

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You cannot legally work in B-1/B-2 status, and it is extremely unlikely that any Social Security Office will give you an SSN. You normally need to show that your immigration status allows you to work before you can get an SSN. I advise you to try to get a status that allows work rather than work here in visitor status.