With an i-864 if there where to be expensive medical bills or unpaid debts can the sponsor be held responsible?

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

I am considering sponsoring my mother in law with a i-130 which will require a i-864

1. An I-864 is a contract between the sponsor and the US government where the sponsor agrees to reimburse the government if the sponsored person receives certain means tested government benefits. That's it.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. No. Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues. You are not responsible for her debts or private medical bills. Only for those government programs covered as a means -tested benefit and the government will need to sue on the contract to seek reimbursement.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com