Skip to main content

Wisconsin Question on being at a party but not drinking.

Whitewater, WI |
Filed under: DUI Underage DUI

So Been thinking, been invited to drinking party's but been turning them down for one no money/ plus 2 months till my 21st birthday. Could i go to party's and not drink and have fun? Without getting no tickets or any trouble?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Only a fool would promise you no problems due to alcohol abstinence. There are so many other possible charges and theories. Suggest that you avoid such events. Lots to llose.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


Amazingly you've waited this long before drinking, wait another two months to be extra cautious. You have the whole rest of your life to drink. Wait till your 21st birthday and drink (surely you'll have plenty of willing designated drivers on your birthday). Good luck.



I've drank before under parent guidence, not to much really, IM a quiet kind of Guy very curious, but all i do is just hang with my friends and drive them home from bars and stuff. I just don't wanna get a tickets t for hanging while not drinking and have fun.


Could you? Yes. You could rob a bank without getting caught, too.

In my experience, anyone at a drinking party gets a ticket if it is busted. That doesn't mean they can't beat the ticket, but waiting 2 months seems like a better option.

Walworth County is not a place you want to go to court if you can avoid it.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


Short answer is Yes. Simply being at a party is not a crime especially if you do not drink. Keep in mind that if the party gets out of hand to the extent the police are called, the police might be skeptical of your claim that you have abstained. If this scenario develops, i.e. you are accused of drinking by the police and in fact have not, insist on the police giving you a PBT (preliminary breath test). When police have not caught someone "red handed", i.e. in the act or otherwise obviously drunk, and the police refuse the request of person for a PBT, most of the judges I practice in front of will dismiss the citation.

With that said, I agree with the other attorneys, this close to being legal, WHY COURT DISASTER?!

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer