Wisconsin Law for pest control charges on the tenants - Do tenants have to pay for bed bug treatment in multi family unit?

Madison, WI |

Hi, I rent an apartment in a multi family unit. THere was a bed bug outbreak in the apartment complex. My wife was due for a baby so I asked my landlord to screen my house for bed bug. Though they are associated with a professional pest control team, i have not seen them do regular inspections for bed bugs. Since the team found bed bugs in my apartment during their screenning and did a treatment, the landlord is seeking $1200 compensation from me for the treatment. Please help

1. Do you have a written lease with the landlord or verbal only? If a written lease, are there any lease provisions that would cover this factual situation? When you requested the landlord to screen your apartment was there a discussion or agreement as to who would bear the costs? Did the pest control team inspect or treat any other apartments or common areas in conjunction with your treatment? Do you even know whether the treatment was effective, or will it have to be repeated?

In order to properly answer your question much more information and documentation will need to be reviewed.

2. Please review the terms of your lease agreement which should address pest control issues. For more information on bed bugs, you should google "bed bugs lawyer". I did it for you and found www.Bed-Bugs-Lawyer.com

3. Look at the lease but if this isn't addressed and the complex had an outbreak, then how could you be responsible for the fees? It sounds like a communal problem that the landlord should address.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.