Winning lottery,(Immigration,General question

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, OH

Can legally receive Your lottery winning money if You hit the millions $$$. And when You are illegal immigrant,or should give to friend who is citizen for 50%-50% deal.
What would You do in that shoes?
Grasias

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

2

Answered . Not an immigration question.

2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you win millions of dollars, your immigration status likely is not as much of an issue now as before the winning. That is, even if you were deported from the US, you would still have a lot of money on which to live. Persons with money can live comfortably practically anywhere in the world. Persons with money likely can live even better outside the US since the cost of living in many places would be less.

As far as I know, being in lawful immigration status is not a requirement to claim the proceeds of lottery winnings anywhere in the US. The taxes that are withheld from your winning may be higher if you cannot provide a tax ID. However, there are ways to file your tax returns to reclaim the extra taxes paid.

There likely is no reason to "give to friend who is citizen for 50%-50% deal" unless you want to give money to that friend anyway.

Depending on why your are "illegal", having millions of dollars may give you more options to legalize your immigration status.

What you should do is put the winning lottery ticket in a safe place and start interviewing professionals (attorneys, money managers, etc.) to get help on what you should do with the money and how you can fix your immigration status.

3. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues this is not an immigration question. If yo believe you may have some immigration issues stemming from the lottery winnings you should set a consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your concerns.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

1

Answered . This is not an immigration question.