Winning a Lottery during separation

Asked over 1 year ago - Thousand Oaks, CA

I am legally separated, but the divorce is not finalised yet.. ( living separately for over an year ). If I win a lottery, should I disclose it ? If I had to, how much % will go to my estranged wife ?

1. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

1

3

Answered . If you do NOT disclose it, then your ex may get all of it. If it is won during separation, it is all yours. However, you have to share 20% with me. : )

2. Donald Frederick Conviser

2

Answered . Yes, disclose it! See Marriage of Rossi, where the wife lost 100% of the lottery winnings to her husband for failing to disclose her winnings. You are likely only separated, not "legally separated". If you purchased the lottery ticket before separation, the winnings are community property. If you purchased it after separation, the winnings are separate property. Even if they are separate property, you must disclose your winnings. Good luck!

3. Cameron Todd Norris

Pro

1

Answered . I am not sure if this question is made in the wildly hopeful speculation that you might have a chance of winning--or if it is made because you actually won something. Either way--you should look at making sure you become legally separated, whether or not you think you are. Many people think they are "legally separated" because they moved out of the house--but whether or not they are "legally separated" in such case is a question which can be litigated and determined by a judge.

If you have actually won the lottery: retain a local family law attorney right away. Mr. Conviser is right about In re Marriage of Rossi (2001) being a cautionary tale. Simply not disclosing can cost you the whole kit and caboodle.

If you would like a free consultation regarding your family law matter, please give us a call. (805) 482-1170