WILLS in Florida - do they all have to go to probate?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I am divorced. My will designates my eldest son as executor - and all my assets are to be divided equally between my sons.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, they do. Plus, the original will itself must be filed with the clerk of the court within 10 days of your death. Depending on the size of your estate, probate can be either formal or summary. If you are concerned, you should seek the advice of an estate-planning attorney who can review your situation and propose other options for your estate administration goals.

    Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate,... more
  2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes-if assets are just in the name of the deceased and the heirs wish to obtain the assets.
    Assets in the name of a deceased required a court order granting the personal representative
    "Letters of Administration" to deal with deceased persons debts and assets.
    You can avoid probate in a variety of ways including a "living trust".

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  3. Jeff Tomberg

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . you can place your sons name on the title to your house and accounts but without the advice of a lawyer you may give up important rights such as control. speak to a lawyer to prepare the necessary documents to accomplish your goals. without reviewing all aspects the result could be less than optimal

    without a detailed review by a lawyer can all the issues raised in your question be appropriately addressed...... more
  4. Dennis Michael Phillips

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A Will is only effective in Probate; so half the answer is YES. The other half of the answer is NO. Wow, we lawyers can make anything seem confusing, right? Here's how it can be both Yes and No: If all of your titled assets (houses, accounts, etc.) are in your own name, then the only way to transfer title to them after you die is with a court order (probate). But, if you have done some estate planning, then you might not die with any of those things solely in your own name. Joint ownership with right of survivorship, life estates, POD/TOD designations on bank/brokerage accounts, beneficiary designations on retirement accounts and insurance policies, and use of trusts are common ways to plan to avoid probate altogether. Trusts can also include planning for unforeseen events like your own incapacity, incapacity of your beneficiaries, future divorce or creditors of your beneficiaries, lack of investment experiences, squabbles between the kids, and other issues. Any of those unforeseen (yet extremely common) occurrences could wipe out your entire estate, if not planned for. If you'd like to talk about it more, that would be great.

    Reach me at dennis@411financial.com, (877) 411-3462, or (954) 900-2939. Do you know the consequences of your... more
  5. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on the value of your estate, and how your assets are currently titled, you estate will have to go through probate or small estate administration. If you want your sons to have to avoid probate, consult with an estate planning attorney.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more
  6. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As my colleagues have stated, the only time a Will is effective is when it is admitted to probate. For this reason, a Will is often not the best planning tool to use. If probate avoidance is your objective, then you need to meet with an estate planning attorney and structure things differently. There are a number of alternatives, but it is not possible to pick the ideal one for your situation without knowing a lot more about your facts and objectives. You also need to make sure you have durable power of attorney forms in place, so you would not need to have a probate proceeding to appoint a guardian/conservator for you, if you ever become incapacitated.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,042 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,042 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering