Will you be extradited for a felony DUI?

Little Rock, AR |

My friend is on her way back from a trip and she has a felony warrant out for her arrest. When she arrives at the airport(chicago,nyc and so on) will the state of arkansas extradite her? If not, does this mean that the charges against her will be dropped? I understand the warrant never goes away until you get it sorted. However, they will then also know that she fled the state so will she get another charge?

Short answer : Yes, and Yes (Yes, she will be extradited and yes she could be charged with fleeing the Jurisdiction and/or failure to appear in court). Longer answer: nobody knows for sure if or When this will happen. As you said, this warrant will continue to haunt her for the rest of her life until she gets it cleared up. She needs to get an experienced criminal defense atty. on her aside, from the area where she was charged, ASAP.

Nothing herein shall constitute legal advice, nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed. www.KellerLawOffices.com

I've read that people are extradited on case by case situations due to some states not wanting to spend money and the overall severity of the offence. In your opinion because this is a felony dwi you are certain she will be extradited back to arkansas? She has never hurt anyone but she does have a history of failures to appears. This is her 4th dwi. She has a big problem with drinking. Do you think she could enter a program instead of going to jail?

Max Allen Keller

Max Allen Keller

I am not certain of anything, nor can anyone else ever be. However, That is correct that costs plays a role in extradition decisions, balanced against the severity of the offense, etc. She will definitely need to go to treatment if that what's you mean by a "program," but that is not necc'ly a substitute for jail.

That are many factors that go into the analysis to answer your question but the short answer is that they can arrest her and hold her until she is brought back to Arkansas. That does not mean that they will, but they can. She should call our office for more complete answers.