Will writing to a senator or governor help speed up the green card process in any way?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

My friend is waiting for a sibling green card under the Reuniting Families program and has also been here for years as a graduate student. Waiting for the green card in her homeland would be extremely difficult for a number of family and financial reasons. Is there anything I can do as a US citizen to speed up this process so she isn't sent back into her country at the end of her degree program?

1. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

6

Answered . There is not much you can do. So long as your friend maintains lawful status she can remain in he US.

2. Karen-Lee Pollak

6

Answered . There is nothing you can do. However, if your friend has an employer or other family member willing to sponsor her while she waits she can stay in the USA in lawful status.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

6

Answered . 1. A governor can never help ... this is a federal law

2. A senator can not 'rush' the waiting list.

Meet with an immigration lawyer to explore options.

4. Stuart D.P. Gilgannon

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, there is nothing you can do that would allow your friend to circumvent the current immigration laws. If she has an advanced degree in her field, she may want to explore whether any employers would be willing to petition on her behalf to obtain some type of employment-based classification. She should consult with an immigration attorney who can discuss these avenues with her in greater detail.

414-758-5245 * www.gilgannonlaw.com * stuart@gilgannonlaw.com
  5. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . There is absolutely nothing a senator can do to get a visa issued which is not available because there is a waiting list. If the woman is a graduate student, she should find an employer, file for an H1b, and remain in the U.S. through the normal means.