Will welfare offices send a notice if they plan to file welfare fraud charges against a friend?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

Last week a friend of mine had a meeting with investigators? He said it was due to complaint of welfare fraud? Will they send a notice if they plan to refer friend"s case to a prosecutor to file charges or will they just come arrest my friend?

1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

8

Answered . I have never seen prior notice sent out in my part of the state. Not to say it may not be happening elsewhere, but what I see most often is that the "flag" for a prosecution coming down the tracks is when the person getting benefits is interviewed by the investigator.

I would add that not all welfare fraud cases are hopeless. If your friend is expecting a welfare fraud charge, now is the time to be talking to criminal defense lawyers who have experience with that kind of case.

2. Jodi Soyars

Pro

5

Answered . Not necessarily. I've seen it happen both ways. Unfortunately, the worst will be the wait & see.

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

5

Answered . They may but they do not have to.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

5

Answered . Not necessarily but they can. It happens both ways.

5. Douglas A. A'Hern

1

Answered . They will most often contact your friend for an interview. At that interview, it will likely be recorded. Be aware that any incriminating statements made at that time will be used later. If the total amount is over $1,500, it will probably be a felony in Texas.