Will we receive SNAP (food stamps) benefits on appeal? We were denied because we exceeded the monthly income limit of $1,591

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

On July 2nd 2013, I applied for SNAP benefits in Houston Texas. I was in receipt of a denial notice on July 12th. I receive SSA disability benefits each month of $2,000 and $1,1001 child benefits for my twelve year old son. I also receive a federal pension from my old job through Office of Personnel Management (OPM) of $900 per month. My husband hasn't worked since 2009 because he takes care of me. I have a mental illness, chronic bronchitis and a reconstructed right knee. I have been disabled since 2008. Our monthly expenses exceed our income. Mortgage $930.05 I have been hospitalized twice this year and I now pay for nine different medications. I have Medicare and we have Aetna (family coverage). We submitted Form H1836-A and B but my psychiatrist did not fill it out correctly.

1. Robert R. Pagniello

1

Answered . If income is your issue, has your husband applied for SSI or SSDI benefits as well? He may be entitled as well. I would follow through on your appeal of snap benefits. Pursuing benefits for you husband would certainly obtain you more income. Call us to discuss.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

1

Answered . Please see my second comment below.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Pro

1

Answered . You can check with the legal aid office in your city or the troubleshooter in your Congressman's office. You indicated you have $4100 in income per month and this is disqualifying the three of you for Food Stamps.