Will we be at risk of our marriage being broken up because of my financial situation?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Joplin, MO

I fell in love with a man who is not a U.S. citizen. I am on S.S.I and he does not have a worker's permit yet. When we marry will we be at risk of our marriage being broken up because of my financial situation? I don't want to lose him.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

1

2

Answered . No government agency has to power to break your marriage. Only the two of you do.

2. Pradeek Susheelan

Pro

1

1

Answered . You marriage cannot be broken up by any one as a consequence of your finances. But your ability to keep your husband with you in the United States will be effected by many factors one of which is the requirement that you will need to have a joint sponsor with sufficient finances to sign an affidavit of support unless of course you have previously worked for 40 quarters Please view the requirements at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem...

Additionally unless your partner entered the U.S legally he will have to leave the country go for a consular interview and obtain a waiver of illegal presence if he has been illegally present for more than 6 months. Please consult with a competent family immigration attorney.

3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

1

Answered . You should find a joint sponsor who meets the requisite financial ability to sponsor your futue husband. Please have an immigration lawyer assist you.