Will violent offenders receive any type of reduction in their prison sentence with the new laws going into effect?

Riverside, CA |
Filed under: Violent crime

Second Striker, Two Violent felony convictions 07/2006. The inmate also told me she was told by a CO in the prison that the 85% have been reduced to 65% and the prison is in process of filing paperwork. How true is this?

This rumor goes round more and more frequently. It is completely false. Violent felons do 85% time and I doubt that any PO saaid anything different.

No. This old wives tale has been going around as long as I can remember. For a reduction in the custody credits to be effective under the three strikes law, the law would have to have been amended by a vote of the people like in the last election. It hasn't happened or you would have heard it all over the news.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

Mr. Kaman and Mr. Farina both gave competent answers.

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.

Violent crime topics